Gluten Free Glasgow







I have recently discovered that I am gluten intolerant. Aside from realising that I cannot buy any cake in the supermarket anymore, I have been getting my head round eating out. Having spoken to other people with food allergies and intolerance's I am very glad that the amount of free from food and allergy aware restaurants have improved but some restaurants are definitely more gluten-free friendly than others. Whether you are a weegie or are visiting this great city, here is my current selection of favourite GF friendly places to eat out. The first restaurant is Glasgow specific and the others can be found in locations throughout the UK. I am still a little scared to try little independent restaurants without websites in case the don't have an allergen menu but as I discover them I will report back! (All menus and details correct at time of publication.) 

Singl-End, 265 Renfrew Street
THE BEST GF RESTAURANT I HAVE DISCOVERED IN GLASGOW SO FAR. Just a short walk from the city-centre through a lovely historic area of Glasgow. Super accommodating with so much choice and just generally a really interesting place to go. I have been recommending this to anyone that will listen. So many options, all different breads many of which are gluten free and vegan. And cake, so many GF cakes which are delicious. I had some delicious bread with olives in it and some amazing soup. I finished of with some rhubarb cake which was out-of-this-world. Best of all they gave us little brownie bites with our receipt instead of mints WHICH WAS GLUTEN-FREE! Just try Singl-end. It's amazing.
https://twitter.com/thesinglend

Bills, 22 West Nile Street
This restaurant can be quite busy but is definitely worth it. As my friend and I waited for our table to be ready, the waitress sat me down with a huge folder showing me all the allergen ingredients from each dish. They also have a gluten free specific menu. I had a salad and a side of bread and dips which were both delicious! For dessert my friend and I both had the gluten free brownie which is also on the main menu. I cannot find the gluten free menu online but here is the allergens menu. 
https://bills-website.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Bills-Allergen-Menu1.pdf 

Wagamamas, The Fort, Easterhouse
A little outside the city centre is an outdoor shopping centre called The Fort. There is also a city centre Wagamama's on West George Street right next to one of the main shopping streets, Buchanan Street. Wagamamas at The Fort was the first restaurant I went to after being Gluten Free. My and sister and I went in to get a takeaway and I was amazed at how much effort the waitress went to, to accommodate me. It remains to this day the best Gluten-free experience I have had. She started by asking me if I was intolerant or allergic to see if I needed it cooked in a different are of the kitchen then proceeded to go through the menu with me, asking about my likes and dislikes and giving her recommendations and to top it all off she gave us a little canvas bag with our takeaway for free. (Anyone who is from Scotland will know that you rarely get a bag for nothing anymore :p). To top it all off the dish I had was delicious! This link allows you to download the allergens menu. www.wagamama.com/~/media/WagamamaMainsite/PDF/allergen_guide_full_menu_inc_breakfast_060715.pdf wagamama gluten free dishes

Prezzo, Various locations
Since being diagnosed I have been to two different Prezzos. One at The Fort and one at Silverburn, also on the outskirts of the city. There is also one at St Vincent Place in the city centre. They have a dedicated gluten-free menu which again is quite extensive. At the Fort I ordered garlic pizza bread to start and the risotto for main course both of which were delicious. At Silverburn I ordered the goat's cheese pizza which in my short time as a Gluten-Free person was the best GF pizza I have yet to taste. It tasted nice and doughy and most importantly did not taste like cardboard. 
http://www.prezzorestaurants.co.uk/globalassets/pdfs/gluten-free-menu/prezzo-gluten-free-october-2015.pdf

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gluten Free Review: Bodach's kitchen

Fräulein 38 makeup brushes review

Bath and Body Works-Mahogany Teakwood