Gluten Free Review: Akara Bakery

There are so many good places to eat in the East End of Glasgow that cater for allergens that I haven't had a chance to try them all yet. This weekend, I went for my second trip to Akara to pick up some cakes for a little treat and I was not disappointed. Due to the current Covid restrictions, service is via a little hatch that we have all become accustomed to seeing businesses use to help adapt to keep customers safe. Sometimes this makes it more difficult to have a browse but Akara makes this easier by putting their yummy cakes in the window and by keeping their instagram up to date (this especially makes it easier if you are travelling from further away, as you can see what they have to offer before you make your journey as they change what they bake regularly). 



I went all out this weekend and got myself two cakes. (I can't be the only gluten-free person who buys multiple treats when they find out they are able to eat them just because they can?). I got a huge slice of their strawberry and chocolate gateau and an apple, caramel and almond round. 

The gateau consisted of a light and fluffy chocolate sponge with strawberry buttercream and a smooth sort-of-ganache-like chocolate. Last time I went I got a slice of their chocolate and dulce de leche gateau and I saved that for 2 desserts as it was so big. This time, however, despite it being the same size, I ate it all in one go, as it was so light that I just couldn't stop!



I had been wanting to try the apple, caramel and almond round for a while as I had seen it on their Instagram a few weeks ago and it was worth the wait. It was a great snack size, with perfect sponge and a subtle caramel and apple filling. It tasted of marzipan due to the almond but it wasn't too sickly. 









If you're ever in the East End I would highly recommend you visit for a little treat!

@akarabakery

537 Duke St, Glasgow, G31 1DL

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gluten Free Review: Bodach's kitchen

Fräulein 38 makeup brushes review

Bath and Body Works-Mahogany Teakwood